1 (15oz) can of Diced Tomatoes
1 (15oz) can of Stewed Tomatoes
½ Medium Diced Onion
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
3 teaspoons Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
½ teaspoon Hot Sauce
1 ½ cups Vegetable Stock
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tablespoon Dried Basil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Sauce pot with lid
1. Add oil to a sauce pot and heat over medium heat.
2. Add diced onion and a pinch of salt to the oil and cook until translucent.
3. Add tomato paste. Stir it into the onions until fragrant to soften and brighten its flavor.
4. Add minced garlic and heat for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
5. Add both cans of tomatoes and stir to incorporate ingredients.
6. Add hot sauce, bay leaves, basil, and vegetable stock.
7. Cover pot and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
8. Remove bay leaves. Turn off the heat.
9. Pour the entire contents of the pot into a blender. Cover the blender with the lid but remove the pour cap to allow steam to escape.
10. Cover the pour cap with a dishtowel to avoid splatter and turn the blender on high. Blend thoroughly until smooth.
11. Pour the ingredients back into the saucepot and heat through. Serve and enjoy.
NOTES: Fire roasted tomatoes are great with is recipe and add another dimension of flavor. Top with chopped fresh basil and toasted cauliflower bread croutons.